If you are planning a trip and want to take your pet along, the first thing on your list would be to find pet-friendly accommodation at your travel destination.
Pet parents would be glad to know that there are plenty of great options available today. Nearly 75% of the reputed, luxury, big hotel chains have removed pet restrictions, allowing you to bring your furry/feathered friend along when you stay with them.
There is a difference between pet-friendly and pet-tolerant. Best rated pet-friendly hotels in the country usually have special features like dog-runs/parks, day-care, pet-meals, etc., while pet-tolerant facilities are limited to just keeping your dog in your room.
Before you plan your vacation:
- Remember to call ahead and confirm that they are indeed pet-friendly.
- Check the amenities, fees, charges, and their guests-with-pets policy.
- If you’re traveling by plane, purchase a pet-carrier that’s approved by the airline.
- Make sure your pet gets used to the carrier well ahead of the scheduled travel.
- If you know that your pet gets car-sick, talk to your vet, and get suitable medication.
- Carry enough paper towels and disposable potty-bags.
- Always keep your dog on a leash while traveling and at the hotel.
- Carry his/her favorite toys, blanket, and cushions.
- Take a supply of water, pet food, and treats if you’re not sure of getting your brand at your travel destination.
Top pet-friendly hotels
This chain is officially endorsed by the American Kennel Club as a preferred lodging-provider and they offer attractive rebates/discounts for AKC members. The facilities extend across all their properties, and there’s no extra charge for pets limited to 2 to a room.
This deluxe brand offers pet-friendly facilities at some locations to small cats and dogs. If you’re staying there, your pet is in for pampering with luxury amenities such as a piddle-pad, water-bowl filled with Evian water, gourmet treats, cozy beds, among others. Concierges at these places can provide information about nearby pet-parks.
Though overall pet-friendly, regulations on size and number of pets allowed may need to be confirmed before you travel. They do charge a pet fee and require your dog to be on a leash at all times.
An organization that’s truly pet-friendly, not just to dogs, this boutique hotel chain with 59 properties across the country offers free comfy pet-beds, complimentary freebies, goody-bags for your pet, food/water, etc., and provides information about pet-friendly restaurants and entertainment facilities nearby.
With a tagline that reads Loews Loves Pets, they make their stand very clear across all their properties in Canada and the US. They do charge a one-time fee of $25 for services and allow up to two pets per room. Your pets will love the special vet-and-chef-curated cat/dog menu, their own special beds, water-bowls, mats, and litter boxes.
Along with its sister brands such as Renaissance, Autograph, Delta, Courtyard, Gaylord, and TownePlace, the hotel offers a wide range of facilities for pets. Fees, facilities, breed, and weight regulations may differ across the 1500 locations.
This hotel will delight you with their Canine Ambassador program, hand-made treats specially created by their executive chef, and more. Facilities and fees, breed, size, weight restrictions may vary across different properties.